Boucing Pink Bow Tie Ribbon Le Mew Cafe: First Look at New KDrama 'Who are You'

Popular Dishes

Friday 2 August 2013

First Look at New KDrama 'Who are You'

Annyeong Yeorobun! ^^*

Sorry for the recent neglect! My Summer holidays started last week and I just had this sudden streak of procrastination wash over me, but now I'm back and all ready to roll! ^^ I'm glad to see that you guys are still checking in to read my posts! I'm really grateful! :')

From the title of this post, I'm guessing you all know what's coming right? ^^ Yep! The KDrama many of us have been anticipating had premiered last week with episodes 1 and 2!

So... what made you attracted to the new drama 'Who are You'? (Well you wouldn't be reading this review right now if you weren't, right? ;P)

For me, I first found out about this new drama from seeing its poster when I was surfing the net (probably searching for taecgui related news >w<). I must say! This poster was really attention-drawing! (Even though Taec looks a little awkward hehe) 

From the poster, you would naturally assume that the people featured on it would be the leading characters. I happened to know both of them from what little places I've seen of the K-entertainment industry, So E-Hyun from Heartstrings (also recently cameo-ed in I Hear Your Voice) and Taecyeon, who's variety show We Got Married Global Edition recently finished broadcasting. To be honest, when I first saw them on the poster as (what seemed like) the leading couple, I felt awkward. I would never have seen them, or even thought of them as a couple if it wasn't for this drama. This pairing was surprising but intriguing and only left me wondering how it would work out. I'm usually not a big fan of couples where the girl is older than the guy, I don't know what happened to me lately... <<"

Anyway, overall, I think the poster did a good job in promoting the new drama, a tad of tension, mystery and spookiness always mixes well together. ^^

When I first read the title, I must admit it wasn't the most appealing, in fact I had actually forgotten the name itself after my first encounter. But I remember when I read the Korean version of it for the first time whilst the video was buffering on Viki, and it actually made me laugh. In Korean it translates to "Hu Ah Yu" (Who are you). I thought it was amusingly creative, writing English words in hangul, but I guess it's not all that rare. It did brighten my day though ^^

Now onto the actual episodes... :D

Spoiler Alert! Even though I'll try to suppress them, turn back now if you feel that you'll regret it later! :9

My Thoughts on Episode 1 + 2

cr: hancinema.net ^^
Okay, the opening? Wow. Way to start a drama with a thrilling action-packed opening even though the audience probably had no idea what the heck is going on, haha. But we love that really! ^^

From the hints they dropped for us, I somehow worked out that...   Actually, scratch that, I just realised that I'm not too sure O_o 
But I guess that's the beauty of it! They'll probably close the first mystery they present to us right at the very end (like most dramas do) whilst dropping hints for us along the way. I'm kinda thick when it comes to the simplest things so I'll probably be one of those viewers who'll scroll through the comments half way through the episode just to find out what's going on. 

So, yeah, she wakes up from her coma after being knocked out by her former lover (who was supposed to be dead) with a metal rod... (she did get knocked out by him right? Or was she -or me- having delusions?) Not too sure... Y.Y After sleeping for six years (all her youth... Q-Q) she wakes up again with the ability to see ghosts. I have to say, that first scene in the psychiatrist's room scared the stuffing out of me! O_o I honestly believed that the annoying guy with a pen was just an annoying guy with a pen! Until he fell out of a freaking window on his own free will!! ><

There's been quite a few jumpy scenes in the first two episodes, especially in the encounters with the first ghost Oh Reum, a mute high school student who's murder case was wrongly labeled as suicide (I totally freaked out over her because she played Lee Shin's little sister in Heartstrings!!). 

Even though some say that the first two episodes appear to be too predictable, I think it was very well written! The first case was interesting and dealt with delicate (and for some- disturbing) issues such as pedophilia. 
The actors also did a great job in expressing their characters, even down to the minor characters such as Oh Reum's mother! Everyone did a great job and it was interesting to see familiar actors play roles different to their previous productions.

All in all, I was really impressed with the start of this drama and I feel that this one's a keeper! ^^ I know it'll definitely help ease my 'I Hear Your Voice' withdrawal symptoms later today! The two dramas are similar in feel and suspense even with that extra tough of super-naturalism! 

If you enjoyed 'I Hear Your Voice', I strongly recommend that you check this drama out, it's definitely worth a shot! You won't be disappointed. :)

What did YOU think about the first two episodes? Leave me a comment below! ^^

-Mew x

No comments:

Post a Comment